Wednesday 15 October 2014

Rio!

So this post is only about a year and a half late (how time flies!), but what with many recent developments I thought it might be fun to rekindle this blog. But that feels wrong when things aren't all up to date!

After a wonderful time exploring Argentina, I crossed the border by the Iguazu Falls over to Brazil and caught a flight up to Rio (domestic flights= far cheaper than from country to country). By this point in the travels, I felt quite tired, and probably about ready to go home. I had been on the go for over 6 months by this point, and it had begun to take its toll, especially during the preceding 6 weeks or so where I had been travelling solo again. I did have some really fantastic times travelling after me and Per Kristian had to split ways, but it is certainly far more tiring (constantly needing to meet new people, make new friends, having to figure things out by yourself). I had begun to miss the luxury of being able to guilt-free settle down on an evening and watch an episode of Game of Thrones!

Nevertheless, I was determined to make the most of my time in Rio. I had decided to couchsurf again. This was as much to do with loving the system, as not being entirely sure how much money I had left in my bank account, after Barclays decided to block me out of my online banking system (it was always rather tense whenever I went to an ATM whether it would actually spit out any cash).

So! I was staying with an absolutely lovely Brazillian couple living in a beautiful area close the beach. The woman was learning English at a local evening class, and had heard about couchsurfing as a way to practice her English outside of class. We had a really lovely evening exploring the area, had cocktails on Cococapabana beach, and a wonderful Saturday exploring the whole city, including the botanical gardens and the sugarloaf mountain. We then went on a lovely cycle ride on the Sunday along the beach. I was so grateful for all the time and effort she had offered!

Me and my wonderful host Leticia!
Cycling with my hosts by the beach in Rio. Jesus in the background.

When my couchsurfing couple returned to work, I decided to strike out on my own and explore the other places my guidebook recommended, as well as allowing myself to be a bit lazy. I arranged to meet with the British couple I had met in Santiago and had gone skiing with- we had discovered in Chile that by some strange coincidence we were on the same flight back to London from Rio! We had some fun exploring the beaches and went out for possibly the strangest meal at a pizza restaurant- featuring 'sweet' pizza that included smarties and white chocolate and sweeties on top. It was nice to have some friends for a bit! They had gone on a tour of the favelas in Rio, but I had opted out of it. It did sound interesting, but also somewhat strange to pay to go around and take pictures of how some of the poorest people in Brazil lived. It seemed to me to be playing a little bit too much to the white western stereotypes.

Hanging out with Jesus.
I don't think this photo does credit to the sheer size of the CROWDS up there!

It was some good days in Rio, but the flight home was still always on my mind. After several long flights and a stopover in Madrid, I arrived home to London Heathrow! The air was fresh with the promise of a British summer, I could order a normal tea without having to specify the type, and the showers ran powerful and hot.

After 7 mind-blowing months of South America.... It did feel good to be home.

Arriving home at the airport.
The big blue bag on the left is about 10 years worth of llama related knitwear for every foreseeable gift and occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment