Friday 7 September 2012

Something rotten in the state of Denmark...

Hamlet's Elsinore Castle (Kronberg Point)
Well, not really. Denmark, and Copenhagen, is actually really clean and pretty. But I've just got back from seeing Hamlet's castle, which was really quite cool. Feeling rather smug as there's lots of expensive organised day trips to go there geared at Americans, but I negotiated the Danish rail network and made my own way there for a tenner....boom :) Situated right on the tip of the Sound there's a really pretty nearby town and you can see Sweden across the water. The castle itself costs a bomb to get in to but there was loads of information and stuff to see outside and I spent a nice few hours muttering 'to be or not to be' to myself. (Well, not the whole few hours. That's just be sad)

So here I am. I'm being routinely mistaken as Scandinavian, both by the tourists who keep asking me for directions, and locals who seem to want me to answer surveys about my shopping habits (karma, I guess, for my job of the last few months) but let's face it- there's definitely worse nationalities to be mistaken as (I've come to the definite conclusion I'm going to marry a Scandinavian, they're beautiful.).

Cycling (shorts weather!)
Copenhagen is the home of Carlsberg, Hans Christian Anderson and more cyclists than I've ever seen in my life. Apparently it is now overtaking Amsterdam in terms of being a bike friendly city- I hired a bike yesterday and apart from a couple of near death experiences (forgetting Europeans drive on the right, not discovering until I was nearly under a bus that you brake by pedalling backwards) it's a really nice way to get around the city. Gorgeous weather as well :)

For Mikey. (Copenhagen's gay park)


There were a couple of moments of loneliness yesterday and I started to feel a little bit homesick... but then I got back to the hostel and an Australian guy I'd met the previous night was handing me a beer and before I knew it I was in an artsy bar in the middle of the student district talking about tequila suicide with a couple of Finnish people. Several drinks later we stumbled into a kebab shop at 3am where they insisted we sit down on mini beanbags and eat our food there. I think English takeaways have a lot to learn!

The hostel is nice, although a little far out and the crowd seems quite quiet (two guys were in the lobby yday playing skyrim. Baxter you'd love it) but it's pretty cool on the whole. My room were ribbing me for being too stereotypically English when they saw the teabags stuffed in my ski jacket pocket...(what! they might not have had proper tea here... and they wouldn't fit in my suitcase!)

Tomorrow I'm off to go horse riding in a nearby Danish national park (7am wake up though, might try not to go out tonight) and then Sunday I'm off to Malmo for my first couchsurfing experience....shitttt! Wish me luck!

Miss you all! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment